Sunday, January 13, 2013

Russia: Tula

July 28-29, 2012, Jason and I joined the Sorenson's as they journeyed to Tula. Tula is a city south of Moscow. Jason opened this area during his mission in the late 90s. I think this was one of the many things Jason was most looking forward to when we went to Russia. Tula is much different than Moscow. It gave me an up close view of the poverty so many Russians live in from day to day. During our time there, we were able to meet many of the people Jason had worked with on his mission, included Natalia.
Jason and Natalia have remained good friends since that time. I believe he even traveled to Europe to join her as she went through the temple for the first time. She is a wonderful woman who can cook a seriously good batch of Borsch (the Russian beet soup). It was great to hear her talk about all the many things she loved about Jason and how he had touched her life. Though she is currently not active in the LDS church, I knew she remembered those special feelings she had when she was converted to the gospel. Her son and his wife gave us a wonderful tour of Tula, even stopping at a children's bookstore where Jason and I loaded up on Russian books, DVDs, coloring books for the kids (Jason only speaks Russian to Jackson and Kate so this will help him in his efforts to teach them the language). We also attended a special church fireside the Sorenson's held that night.
I played "If You Could Hie to Kolob" on a piano that was apparently donated to the church by a rather famous Russian musician (can't remember his name). I'll always remember my interaction with a little boy named Elusha (I think it's Elijah in English). He reminded me of Jackson so, missing our kids, I eagerly wanted to play with him while his mother helped Jason translate his talk. In his eyes I saw the life of what many Russian children are like. He was hungry and I found some Jelly Belly's in my purse. He loved them and kept coming up to me for more. On Sunday, Jason was able to talk and many of the members there remembered him. I sat in that small branch where less than 20 people gathered that day and was reminded that God's church is true and that it really is spreading throughout the world. I was inspired by the sweet men and women who go from day to day surviving on little to nothing but who have such an incredible amount of faith. Visiting Tula was one of the most tender parts of our Russian adventure (now the three hour ride back to Moscow was a different story...).

No comments:

Post a Comment