Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kate's surgery


Early Sunday morning while changing Kate's diaper, Jason discovered an unusual, hard mass on her left groin. We took her to the emergency room where it was determined she likely had a hernia. Hours later, surgery was scheduled for Kate on Monday. Kate was a brave little girl going without food for eight hours before surgery. The surgeons found she had hernias on both sides of her groin. The left side was worse than the right side but both are fixed now. Kate and I spent the night at the hospital. It wasn't one of those mommy-daughter sleepovers I care to repeat. Kate was screaming due to the pain and wouldn't eat. Once she got to sleep, I tried to get a few winks on the harder-than-a-rock sofa that screeched and moved sideways whenever I shifted. We were discharged Tuesday afternoon. Since then, Kate has been doing better at home though she doesn't sleep as much (sigh) and eats more than ever (a good thing). So grateful to have my little girl on the mend and for a wonderful medical team at the U of I.

7 comments:

  1. Scott told me what happened... so glad she is better now. What a scary thing to go through Jami. You are in our prayers, especially sweet little Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Jami! How scary! I am sorry she had to go through that, and so did you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...I got teary eyed just reading. What a scary and horrible thing to go through. How on earth did she get hernias?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor baby. Poor Mommy. I bet you cried. :( I would have. A lot. Sweet baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jami! So sorry to hear this!!! Please call when things get better! I cannot wait for Spring. Let's get together and enjoy the Spring when it arrives. Glad baby kate is doing better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm so sorry to hear this news...and sorry I'm so late to hear it. Hope both of you are doing very well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh poor little thing. I am so glad that all went well! She is darling.

    ReplyDelete